Sunday, April 27, 2008

DVD Movie Store : The Golden Compass [Blu-ray]

DVD Movie Store Collection



Classy,

January 4, 2008
Phantasy is not my favorite genre, definitely not in printed form (couldn't even handle the Lord of the Rings), and hardly in movies (except Lord of the Rings). Potter is mediocrity itself, and Narnia was a bit too sweetish with its good Jesusy lion. I did not bother with other recent phantasy movies.
This one attracted me because there was some religious propaganda against it. Apparently some good Christians think that the story is anti-Christian. Well, let them. Not a relevant attack, in my view, but of course a soul outside its body is reason for concern to the literalists.
The story is definitely different and it is charmingly free from sentimentality and cuteness. Kidmann is great as the bad guy. The polar bear beats Knut, the star of Berlin zoo. The story has a strong libertarian flavor, nothing wrong with it. The fight is against a pre-fascist government structure which suppresses knowledge and individuality. I saw nothing remotely justifying an uproar from proper religious points of view.
P.S. in the meantime, a friend has convinced me that the author of the book does indeed stand for odd views. I still think that the movie is free of those.

No comments: